Login / Create an Account

run8 | Full-Throttle Independent Music and Events

R8R Music Publishing
Performance Royalties

In the conventional context, royalties are paid to composers and publishers and record labels for public performances of their music on vehicles such as the jukebox, stage, radio or TV. Users of music need to obtain a "performing rights license" from music societies (Performing Rights Organizations (PROs), such as ASCAP) to use the music. Performing rights extend both to live and recorded music played in such diverse areas as bars, cafés, skating rinks, etc.

Typically, the PRO negotiates blanket licenses with radio stations, television networks and other "music users", each of whom receives the right to perform any of the music in the repertoire of the PRO for a set sum of money. PROs use different types of surveys to determine the frequency of usage of a composition/song. For example, ASCAP uses random sampling.

"Performance" in the music industry can include:

  • a performance of a song or composition — live, recorded or broadcast
  • a live performance by any musician
  • a performance by any musician through a recording on physical media
  • performance through the playing of recorded music
  • music performed through the web (digital transmissions)